I used to work as a pediatric home care nurse. My clientele were children with tracheostomys. During the winter months pneumonia, bronchitis and other respiratory problems were common for these kids due to their compromised airway. Some nights it was scary as their oxygen readings would creep down. Tracheal suctioning and IV antibiotics were necessary for many.
Fast forward 6 years, now I am at home with a sick baby and I think it was worse than all those nights put together! Why? I think because Jacob is mine. Also I don't have suction equipment readily available. A bulb syringe just doesn't vacuum those boogers out quite as well. I have found that dripping a few drops of nasal saline in each nostril and then bulbing works much better for thick secretions.
Even more challenging, I am sick too. I called in sick for work tonight. Thank goodness for a helpful husband and ibuprofen.
I applaud all of you who have been in the care of sick children. What a challenge!
7 comments:
Hope you both get better soon, being a sick Mom makes for hard days.
You seem do have done so much good for so many people, I admire that about you.
Wow I hope little Jacob and you get feeling better.
It is so hard when your own kid is sick. Olivia threw up at the checkout at Smith's today. I couldn't even feel embarrassed I felt so bad for her!
I am so sorry Janel! It's so hard to look into their sick little eyes! As their mom you just want to make everything ok, and sometimes you just have to ride it out. Good Luck with everything!
It is absolutley the worst part of the mom job, sick kids.
so get better!
I totally understand what you are going through! I agree that the bulb syringe just isn't good enough after having Sydney suctioned out at the hospital several time a day! I have noticed that when I put the drops of saline down her nose the mucus seems to pool in her mouth so I would then syringe inside her mouth and I would get a lot more mucus! I hope that you and Jacob feel better soon!
You got that right. Its all different when its your own child! I would be sick three times, if I could keep my kids from getting sick, too bad it doesn't work like that, huh. I hope you guys are doing better!
Hey Janel! Ryan told me about your blog... and I wanted to let you know that Jason and I have one too... jjwilliamsblog.blogspot.com Figured this could be a good way to stay in touch!
Hope you guys get feeling better! Take care!
Post a Comment