This is a reflective day for many. Hard to believe it has been 6 years. What a catastrophic event for our nation. I remember waking up to the TV on and my family home silently staring at the images on the news. It was surreal to watch the planes crashing into the towers.My brother was on a mission in Michigan. My dad made several phone calls to track him down and speak with him just to be sure he was okay and knew that we loved him. It seemed the world shut down for a while and people clung to what mattered most--family and friends.
We owned a flower shop in Centralia, WA. We closed it for a week as did many other businesses and just spent time together. When we reopened the few people that came in were looking for red, white, and blue anything (ribbon, flowers, etc.). It is easy for me to forget that there is a war still going on when it is not so close to home. I am proud of those serving in the military and grateful for their service. I feel fortunate to live in this country and enjoy the freedom we have.
5 comments:
Haha! You & I just did basically the same post! It's interesting to see that no matter where you were, everyone had a similar reaction that day.
Wonderfully said! I hate to think back to that day. But am soooo grateful!
Thank you for sharing. I was on my mission in Texas when it happened, so my experience was very different. I didn't really get the full effect of what had happened until the first anniversary of 9/11 when I was back home and could spend the week watching every special they had on TV. It was a very surreal thing that I have always felt a little disconnected from, having not really known what was going on at the time. And thank you also for your comment about the war and those serving in the military. I have family members serving currently, and I know what it is like for their wives and kids left here at home. It is good for the rest of us to not forget them.
Yes, very well said Janel.
I wish everyone was still as patriotic today as they were at that time, I wonder how different our country would be.
Hey Janel! You might not even remember me, but I saw you off the other girls' blogs! You're right, it's so fun catching up with people from high school through blogging! Your little guy is adorable, and good luck to you on feeding and everything. Hope all is well!
Kristen (Cox) Lotz
http://lotz-family.blogspot.com
Post a Comment